- About the College
- Degree Programs
- Academic Resources
- Campuses & Student Life
- Continuing Education
- Exhibitions & Events
Weekday docents devote time and professional expertise to students ranging from pre-school to secondary school, and to adult audiences. They lead tours through the museum’s permanent collections and special exhibitions, and conduct “hands-on” workshops. A rigorous training program offers lectures by staff, curators, and other specialists. Assigned readings, field trips, and enrichment programs add to the docent experience and contribute to effective communication about our visual heritage.
- Candidates must commit to an intensive training program conducted for several months. This training consists mostly of weekday sessions and possibly one or two Saturday mornings
- Must attend weekly continuing education trainings held September through June on Tuesday mornings from 9:45 a.m. to 12 noon, in addition to occasional Tuesday afternoon training sessions from 1 to 2 p.m.
- Agree to volunteer for permanent collection and/or special exhibition tours one morning (other than Tuesdays) per week throughout the academic calendar year (September through June), with some additional tour responsibilities in the summer
- Support the docent council through annual dues
- Expected to volunteer, on a rotating basis, as a tour director and for leadership roles on the docent council
- Assist with special programming events throughout the year