Internships are available throughout the year in the following departments:
Research and Curatorial
- American Art Curatorial: This intern assists with coordination of historic American Art temporary exhibitions and collection galleries, in addition to daily responsibilities in the Curatorial department.
- Contemporary and Modern Curatorial: This intern assists with upcoming Contemporary Art temporary exhibitions and collection galleries. Responsibilities include research, writing, and daily administrative duties in the curatorial office.
- Contemporary Photography Curatorial: This intern assists with upcoming Photography temporary exhibitions and collection galleries. Responsibilities include research, writing, and daily administrative duties in the curatorial office.
- Corcoran Library: The Corcoran Library offers interns the opportunity to gain valuable experience working in an art museum and college library setting. Library interns will be exposed to library research concepts and skills that can be applied in other academic libraries.
For Education interns, applicants with art history, museum education, studio art, or art education backgrounds are preferred.
- Interpretation and Visitor Experience: The Interpretation intern works with the senior director of Interpretation and Visitor Experience to maintain the interactive gallery areas, research and prepare educator resources, create studio projects connected to school tours, assist with docent activities, and research the aspects of collection.
- ArtReach: The Corcoran’s community ArtReach program is seeking teaching assistants and gallery interns for their after-school classes in partnership locations around D.C. The ArtReach program is a semester-based museum outreach program designed to empower D.C. youth to explore creativity within the context of art appreciation and art making. Using the Gallery’s exhibitions as a primary resource, ArtReach fosters visual literacy, critical thinking skills, and creative expression among its participants while encouraging them to develop meaningful connections between art and their lives. More about ArtReach
- Youth and Family Program
Interns in this department assist with the preparation and logistics of the Camp Creativity, family workshops and family days, and children’s birthday parties.
Exhibitions and Collection
- Museum Registrar’s Department: The Museum Registrar’s intern assists with accessioning; the collection inventory process; collection management (data entry) as well as digital management of the collection and exhibitions; organization of (paper) object files; replying to research queries; exhibition program meetings; art shipments (incoming and outgoing); and exhibition installations and de-installations.
- Museum Exhibitions: The Museum Exhibitions intern works collaboratively with the Exhibitions director to assist with the preparation of upcoming exhibitions to ensure that all details pertinent to the production of the exhibitions are completed on time, including publications, wall text, and labels. The intern works with curators, the registrar, and other departmental interns to complete assignments.
- College Exhibitions: This intern works with the coordinator of College Exhibitions to organize, install, and de-install student shows in College exhibition spaces. This intern gains experience developing upcoming exhibitions by having direct involvement with the process.
- Continuing Education: This intern assists the director of Continuing Education in coordinating short courses, individual courses, and the pre-college portfolio development program.
- Information Technology: This Intern works closely with the Information Technology Director in documenting the current infrastructure, as well as assisting with writing, editing, and proofreading of IT documents. This applicant must have strong writing skills and interest in technology.
- Marketing & Communications: The Marketing intern is involved with marketing strategies for both the Gallery and College by updating and managing Corcoran pages on social networking sites, requesting media kits from various publications as needed, maintaining ad archives, and assisting in updating content on the Corcoran web site.
- Public Relations: This intern works directly with the director of Public Relations to write press releases and media alerts, to distribute monthly and quarterly press information, to supervise television filming and photo shoots, and to archive media clippings. A background in journalism, public relations, communications, or marketing is preferred.
- Graphic Design: This intern works with the Office of Design primarily on archiving and administrative support, as well as assistance in creative projects for the institution. Applicants with a graphic design education are preferred.
- Special Events: The Special Events department at the Corcoran works closely with the Gallery and College. This intern assists with event logistics by interacting with departments throughout the institution, external vendors, and clients.
- Development & Membership: Interns in the Development and Membership office engage in a wide variety of projects, including research, strategic initiatives, and daily operations. Interns can expect to receive basic training in the Raiser’s Edge, volunteer at day-time and evening programs for our members and donors, manage the membership hotline, and learn the values of an office that engages in fundraising with individuals, corporations, foundations, and government agencies.
- Finance and Administration: Interns in the Finance Department assist with daily operations of a not-for-profit organization. This is an excellent opportunity to gain practical experience in the management and integration of the museum and college business practices.