- About the College
- Degree Programs
- Academic Resources
- Campuses & Student Life
- Continuing Education
- Exhibitions & Events
Barkovations Student Design Competition
May 27, 2010
The founder of Barkovations (www.barkovations.com) – an innovative dog product company that is designed to bring people together in unique, creative, and collaborative to help find homes for dogs is holding a student design competition.
Here’s how it works:
- Anyone can submit a design (i.e. patterns) to our online competition. (Our initial products will be collars and leads that are embellished via an elaborate woven process. See our Design Guidelines for details.)
- The public votes online to pick winning designs. The creators of winning designs receive a $500 award, free Barkovations product, and a goody bag.
- Barkovations applies the winning designs to products that are then manufactured in limited edition runs and made available exclusively in our online store.
How this helps find homes for dogs:
- Free products: For every Barkovations product purchased, we donate a matching product to a dog rescue or no-kill shelter. These organizations use the products themselves, or sell them – keeping 100% of the retail sales.
- Free educational materials: Using a portion of our profits, we create and distribute booklets that help rescue staff teach kids to be compassionate, responsible dog owners.
- Free business resources: Lastly, we help rescue staff in their day-to-day efforts by providing valuable information on topics from operations to marketing.
The opportunity for design students:
We believe Barkovations can make a real difference, but only if people participate. We feel that this contest represents a valuable, real-world opportunity for design students to get public feedback on their work, supplement their portfolio, and potentially win some extra cash – all while contributing their talents to a good cause.
We are excited about launching this series of competitions and about our plans for additional, complementary creative projects, some of which may be specifically focused on the next generation of artists and designers. It’s our goal to make the Barkovations design challenges a win for everyone involved – the artists, the rescues, and – ultimately – the dogs. We would be very pleased if you would share Barkovations with your student body.