- About the College
- Degree Programs
- Academic Resources
- Campuses & Student Life
- Continuing Education
- Exhibitions & Events
Graphic Design Opening at the World Bank
February 17, 2010
The World Bank Group’s General Services Department (GSD) provides a wide range of corporate services that are essential to the functioning of the Bank Group. We are seeking a qualified and motivated Graphics Designer for the GSD Printing, Graphics and Map Design Unit (GSDPG) for our Washington DC, Headquarters.
The Graphic Designer is responsible for the design and production of electronic print-ready
artwork of books, reports, covers, brochures, logos, newsletters and stationery; custom artwork
for Bank special events (e.g., posters, flyers, awards, and memorabilia); the design of business
presentations; the analysis and transfer of technical data in graphic illustrations (e.g., flow,
bar, line and pie charts); and the integration of text and graphics, desktop publishing services,
such as electronic page layout, digital calligraphy and typesetting in a variety of languages. The
Graphic Designer also provides concept development and production of web and other electronic
products. The position reports to the Production Coordinator.
Duties and Accountabilities:
• Produces professional quality graphics, artwork, business presentations and desktop publishing services to supplement official Bank documents, projects and events, with a particular eye toward repurposing of all files for collateral uses.
• Works efficiently and effectively in current, professional-level graphic design industry standard software on Mac and PC platforms. (Current software requirements include but are not limited to Adobe CS4 and QuarkXPress 8.)
• Works in World Bank Group staff enterprise software programs in order to meet client requirements (for example, the Microsoft Office Suite and Lotus Notes).
• Translates client needs and goals into concept development with a strong marketing orientation for production of print and electronic design pieces that deliver professional results.
• Interfaces with clients on a regular basis to explain service options, determine the best
production approach, furnish time and cost estimates via Customer Service Representatives, review proofs and layouts and provide reports on works in progress.
• Balances competing deadlines and budgetary constraints against the order in which work is received and the complexity, visibility and importance of the job.
• Provides information, advice and support to assist Bank staff in presenting their work most effectively.
• Works on a team with other graphic designers, customer service and in-plant production staff to achieve unit goals for product timeliness, cost efficiency, customer service, unit work coverage and service delivery to the institution.
• Works with external commercial vendors including contract design and typesetting firms as well as print service providers.
• Maintains electronic graphic archives and tracking mechanisms for all phases of internal production.
• Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design (or relevant field) and a minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience.
• Design portfolio review including description of software used, dates produced, and provision of design files for committee quality review.
• Design test administered by selection committee.
• Demonstrably strong customer service orientation as assessed by colleagues and customers.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills to deal with staff, managers, clients and partners at all levels.
• High degree of initiative and strong record of performance with low supervisory requirements to function effectively.
• Ability to build effective working relationships with GSD business partners and other staff; strong interpersonal skills and listening ability.
• Ability to work in a culturally diverse international organization and exhibit professional sensitivity and restraint in the face of demanding work conditions.
Details (vacancy #100020) are available through the World Bank Employment Opportunities website: WWW.WORLDBANK.ORG/JOBS. All applications must be submitted through this website.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.