(Graphics) Production Specialist
Job ID: 3942
Location: National Geographic Magazine
Job Type: Regular/Full-time, Exempt
Summary of Position
Produce graphics and maps as needed for NGM. Collaborate with the Art Director, Design Director, Graphics Editors and Art Researcher to produce information graphics, art, maps and layouts for stories. This requires being familiar with story content and design considerations. Assist with large projects, implementing changes from editors and designers and assuring quality control. Assist Graphics Editors, Map Department staff and Art Researcher with research. Assist Art Director and Design Director with internal projects. Coordinate efforts with NGM departments including Research, Editorial, Foreign partners, Photography, Prepress for on-schedule delivery of art, graphics, maps and layouts. Managing projects toward a timely completion is a major component of this job.
- Assist in the production of graphics, art, maps, research, and layouts for NGM.
- Help other members of the NGM Art Department with meeting deadlines and preparing files for pre-press.
- Coordinate graphics, maps and layout production with other magazine departments.
- Assist Art Director and Design Director with internal projects.
- Archiving of art files, server organization and file handling for Foreign Partners, Image Collection and Web.
Minimum Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree in journalism, visual communication, graphic design, art, cartography, geography, or a related field preferred. One to three years of related work experienced is preferred, but new graduates are encouraged to apply.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
An eye for clarity, elegance and accuracy in the visual display of information and typography. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team. Curiosity about topics covered in the magazine and the ability to grasp new subject matter quickly. Excellent Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop skills required. Knowledge of GIS software, 3D software and/or Flash are a plus. Superior organizational skills as well as the ability to multitask under the pressure of tight deadlines.