Senior Exhibition Designer
Howard+Revis Design Services, a leading exhibition design firm located in Washington, DC, is looking for a senior designer to join our small, but growing team of dedicated professionals. Our project portfolio is diverse, but expect to work on a variety of small- and large-scale exhibits for museums, visitor centers and outdoor venues, with a repeat client base that includes the Smithsonian, National Park Service and National Library of Medicine. Many of our projects, including those for the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, National Museum of the American Indian and National Civil Rights Museum, deal with issues of social conscience.
• Report to two H+R Principals who serve as Lead Designers on most projects.
• Collaborate with Graphic Designer and Content Developer on design schemes.
• Engage exhibit content materials and develop in-depth knowledge of exhibit topics and available visual assets to guide design decisions.
• In concert with H+R's Principals, and sometimes independently, develop design approach to meet the client's interpretive objectives. Depending on the phase of the project, this might entail generating 3D hand sketches and/or computer renderings, building sketch models and mock-ups, preparing architectural drawings (plans, elevations, sections, details, etc.), integrating exhibit specialties (e.g., custom artwork, model and sculpture work, special lighting effects, etc.), incorporating multimedia, determining a lighting approach, selecting products, finishes and equipment, etc.
• Work with design partners such as architects, multimedia designer/producers, lighting designer, graphic artists, etc. in generating designs and coordinating details.
• Work with end producers such as building contractors, exhibit fabricators, artists and sculptors, etc. in fabricating designs and coordinating details.
• Attend meetings and site visits as required, including potentially overnight trips to visit non-local clients and project sites.
• B.A. or M.A. in Exhibit Design, Architecture or Industrial Design
• A minimum of 4+ years of experience in the exhibit design field or related field
• Excellent 3D modeling/rendering skills (Vectorworks or SketchUp preferred)
• Fluency in Autocad or Vectorworks
• Competency in graphic design software, such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
• Competency in basic office software, such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint
• Highly organized with ability to juggle multiple projects and keep careful project records
• Experience in exhibit detailing for fabrication, including knowledge of materials, fabrication methods, and specification writing is highly desirable
• Good interpersonal and communication skills with ability to effectively express ideas to colleagues and clients both verbally and in writing
Please send resume and up to 6MB portfolio to email address provided (email@example.com).
If you are not an American citizen, please indicate your visa status.
No phone calls, please.