The Women's Committee
In 1952-53, Mrs. John Rockwood founded the Women's Committee of the Corcoran Gallery of Art with the mandate of advancing the Gallery’s growth, and extending its usefulness as a cultural and educational institution. The Women's Committee has since grown from its original 21 members to 80 active members, plus nonresident active, diplomatic associate, and sustaining members. The organization meets monthly in the Corcoran’s historic Mantle Room to conduct its business, followed by programming which may include speakers from our outreach efforts; discussions with visiting artists; or behind-the-scenes tours led by Corcoran curators. The Women's Committee also hosts receptions in celebration of exhibition openings.